[lac-discuss-en] Fwd: [Summit-wg] Difficulties related to the 2nd Survey on the Summit

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 22:08:36 EST 2009

See the informaiton below

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Matthias Langenegger <matthias.langenegger at icann.org>
Date: Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 9:56 AM
Subject: [Summit-wg] Difficulties related to the 2nd Survey on the Summit
To: "summit-wg at atlarge-lists.icann.org" <summit-wg at atlarge-lists.icann.org>

Dear Summit WG members,

As most of you probably know, there were some participants who experienced
technical difficulties when they tried to access the 2nd Survey on the
Summit. Big Pulse, our online voting administrator, has investigated the
error messages that we received and informed us that there are three reasons
why the problems could have occurred:

 1.  ICANN used the "require email activation" feature in earlier polls and
BigPulse assumed that this was our default setting. When activated, "require
email activation" requires an extra step from the user to click a link to
activate the email. Most of the participants, whose email address was not
yet activated, followed this step and were able to vote. In some cases the
extra step led to confusion, however. The email activation is no longer
required to vote and shouldn't cause problems in the remaining days.
 2.  There was a BigPulse server problem on December 24th, the day the vote
started. Anybody who voted that day could have been affected by this
problem, which could have caused misrecordings.
 3.  Some people got an "email error" message even after their email address
was activated, however. In this case the problem seems to lie somewhere
else. Our contact at BigPulse is still trying to figure out why this
happened. However, since the email activation is no longer required, this
should no longer be a problem.

I extended the deadline for the 2nd Survey until Wednesday, 14 January at
1800 UTC, which is shortly before the next Summit WG call, This should allow
us to "nail down" the five working groups at the next meeting. Thank you for
your continuing efforts to get everybody's vote! Please contact
staff at atlarge.icann.org if somebody still has problems accessing the survey.

Best Regards,
--
Matthias Langenegger