[lac-discuss-en] geographical diversity

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Mon Nov 24 10:58:20 EST 2008

Carlos:
I'm glad that you made a point of this because I recently had to intervene
in a employment situation.  I proposed a qualified Jamaican candidate for an
open policy development position in ICANN. Nick assisted me in sending the
cv and application to the right person. [ Yes, that might be a small gesture
but a very helpful thing!]  From what follows, it appears that my judgment
of her qualifications was confirmed.

When the recruiter made contact, she was disqualified because she did not
have an American work visa, did not live in a country that ICANN had offices
nor had a work visa to work from ICANN's third country offices.  My
information is ICANN says it does not intervene in work visa issues, "except
under extreme circumstances".

Here is a case where the words of the principles espoused by ICANN do not
reflect reality. Because this rule simply disqualifies highly qualified
candidates who are neither European or American...or, have works visas for
the US or the EU.  The resulting 'bantustanization" of ICANN professional
staff is the natural resutl of this. I wrote to Denise Michel, the ICANN VP
that covers the polic area on the matter.  I have not had the beneift of a
reply as yet.

In matters of international trade - and trade in services - this is a very
good example of a "non-tariff barrier". But ICANN needs to udnerstand that
we must walk the walk, not just talk the talk!

Carlton

On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 9:24 AM, carlos aguirre <carlosaguirre62 at hotmail.com