[LAC-Discuss] Board Liason y ALAC Rep

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Mon Sep 29 14:51:59 EDT 2008

Erick:
I can understand that if you're ignorant of what transpired before you
joined the discussion, you might misapprehend the facts and so make a
statement that is without substance, or, in your case, guile.

This matter of the Board liaison came up for discussion before now.  And it
went exactly how it is going now; those members who had a mind to express a
preference did.  In that round ALL members who expressed an opinion
indicated support for Wendy Seltzer.  This WAS the consensus that was
reported.

With regard to the ALAC Representative, here's what obtains. In my part of
the world where we have a long democratic tradition, when only one duly
qualified candidate is nominated for a position, common sense says that is
the candidate that is returned as elected. Secondly, LACRALO election rules
now support simple majority and not thresholds for any elected position. In
any event and if the formal voting proceeds, Alfa-Redi is at liberty to
record a "NO" vote.  This would be reported but quite frankly, would have no
material effect at that time.

I cannot be as bold as you on the matter of "silent" votes.  I would
therefore cautiously hesitate to impute a conscious thought to silence. And
since I do not know or claim knowledge of all mysteries, we cannot report
the opinion of those who are "silent". What we can do is to give you comfort
so in the event you did not count from the list, we acknowledge that
Alfa-Redi is opposed to Wendy Seltzer as Board Liaison. And when the time
comes, we shall count those who agree and tally them to reflect the majority
opinion of LACRALO.

Kind regards,
Carlton Samuels