[LAC-Discuss] Updates to New gTLD Program Implementation and auctioning model

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Tue Aug 12 19:15:19 EDT 2008

Dear Scott:

I totally respect your position.

Best,

Carlton

From: Scott S Robinson [mailto:ssr at laneta.apc.org]
Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2008 07:42 AM
To: Carlton Samuels; jam at jacquelinemorris.com; LAC Discuss
Subject: Re: Updates to New gTLD Program Implementation and auctioning model

Colegas,

Esta propuesta de Carlton tiene mucho sentido y deseo
registrar mi acuerdo...

Scott S. Robinson
VINCULART
México

At 04:15 p.m. 11/08/2008, Carlton Samuels wrote:

To continue to think that the Internet does not have commercial appeal is to
defy reason and rubbish our experience. So my reading of this is that the
contractors are proposing a model for deciding who gets a popular gTLD in
the event that more than one party or entity applied and proposed a
competent business model.

I think that a "First Past the Post" principle should be embraced as part of
the evaluation model, meaning the entity that is granted the gTLD franchise
would be the party that applied *first* with a proposed business model that
meets the standing criteria established by ICANN.

However, in the event that BOTH parties are deemed to have applied *at the
same time* and have demonstrated equally credible business plans, I should
think that a tie breaker mechanism that maximizes the returns or value-add
to the *community* would be very appealing to me.

Carlton