[LAC-Discuss] Updates to New gTLD Program Implementation and auctioning model

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Mon Aug 11 17:15:47 EDT 2008

To continue to think that the Internet does not have commercial appeal is to
defy reason and rubbish our experience. So my reading of this is that the
contractors are proposing a model for deciding who gets a popular gTLD in
the event that more than one party or entity applied and proposed a
competent business model.

I think that a "First Past the Post" principle should be embraced as part of
the evaluation model, meaning the entity that is granted the gTLD franchise
would be the party that applied *first* with a proposed business model that
meets the standing criteria established by ICANN.

However, in the event that BOTH parties are deemed to have applied *at the
same time* and have demonstrated equally credible business plans, I should
think that a tie breaker mechanism that maximizes the returns or value-add
to the *community* would be very appealing to me.

Carlton