[LAC-Discuss] [Fwd: [NA-Discuss] ALAC Review Draft is published]

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Mon Jun 16 18:25:48 EDT 2008

Dear Jacqueline:
Many thanks for this.  Don't know if you noticed but here's an interesting
recommendation: "That the ALAC must ensure that it is seen within ICANN as
being a valuable component of the total structure."

I wonder what mechanisms are available for that.

The review team recognized that the ALS structure is hardly 1 year old in
some places and just over that most everywhere else.  So I'm thinking it's
'loose talk' about being ineffective! All without multilingual support for
most of the period of our existence!  And with content appropriately
formatted and configured for consumption by regular Internet users!

I note with some irony the team's approach in asking the central question
"is there sufficient interest, among the 1.4 billion individual users of the
Internet, for them to participate to any significant degree in the
specialized technical role of ICANN?"

Because if one were to attempt to answer that question, even the most casual
observer would have to conclude ICANN has hardly done enough to date to
signify a positive answer.

Carlton