[LAC-Discuss] New GTLD Policy and Implementation Planning - Objections

Carlton Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Thu Jun 12 14:47:44 EDT 2008

Thank you Nick. Looking forward.

Carlton

-----Original Message-----
From: lac-discuss-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org
[mailto:lac-discuss-bounces at atlarge-lists.icann.org] On Behalf Of Nick
Ashton-Hart
Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2008 01:02 PM
To: LAC Discuss; gtld-wg at atlarge-lists.icann.org; NA Discuss
Subject: [LAC-Discuss] New GTLD Policy and Implementation Planning -
Objections

Dear All:

After the briefing yesterday, there is a lot of interest in what kind of
objections it will be possible to register to new GTLD applications, and the
way in which objections can be handled. The discussion on this as you know
has moved forward today :)

As you may know, the New GTLD Policy was developed by the GNSO over a
considerable period of time. The objections element was the subject of
intense debate and negotiation.

I have asked internally to see what information is available to give some
context to this area of the policy, in order to help ensure that everyone
has a common understanding. This would especially help those of us (myself
included!) who were not participants in the negotiations that led to these
provisions of the policy the GNSO adopted. I will let you know what I can
find for you.

I know there are strong feelings on this subject. Many of you will be
present in Paris for the New GTLD Policy and Implementation Planning
Briefing. This will be recorded in spanish, french, and English. We are also
translating the powerpoint used during the briefing. I feel sure that the
additional information will help everyone evaluate the objections element to
the policy - though that does not mean that it will necessarily change any
opinions about these parts of the process.

I hope these efforts will prove useful. I do encourage everyone to listen to
the briefing from yesterday once we post it (which should be imminently). We
will announce the links once they are available.

---
Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart
Director for At-Large