[LAC-Discuss] Draft of New gTLD Evaluation Process

carlos aguirre carlosaguirre62 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 11 23:11:28 EDT 2008

My Dear Carlton: I strongly agree with you, nobody can to say waht are the criterion of moral or inmoral for everybody, maximun when Internet is a global tool wich include diferent races, religions and cultures. I did not participate in a mentioned teleconference, because I have a big national event of informatic law organized by AGEIA DENSI, here in my city but I appreciate your effort and great job. Thank`s, and you could be sure that I will vote in the same

Carlos Dionisio Aguirre
abogado - Sarmiento 71 - 4to. 18 Cordoba - Argentina -
*54-351-424-2123 / 423-5423
www.sitioderecho.com.ar
www.densi.com.ar > From: carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm> To: lac-discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org> Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 18:36:17 -0500> Subject: [LAC-Discuss] Draft of New gTLD Evaluation Process> > Dear All:> Due to a scheduling conflict with the job that pays my keep, I belatedly> joined the New gTLD Evaluation Process briefing via teleconference. Since I> only came at the tail end, someone may have sought clarification on the> matter of the four criteria for objections to a gTLD string, namely Sting> Confusion, Infringement of Rights, Morality and Public Order, Community> Objection. The draft also states that the gTLD string can be objected on> any combination of the four criteria at the same time.> > I have requested and the At-Large Secretariat is committed to producing a> Spanish-language translation as soon as practical.> > Singly or severally, they ring alarm bells. So while the translation is> being worked, I shall raise a few concerns for your consideration while they> are fresh in my mind.> > First, if "Morality and Public Order" is accepted as a criterion for> successful objection to a gTLD string, it would have finally removed the> very last fig leaf from ICANN's tattered denial of a political construct to> its mandate and work. Because since it is widely indoctrinated that morality> - your sense of right and wrong - is the stuff of religion, it raises the> question as to whose morality becomes the yardstick. Rest assured the> yardstick will certainly not be that of the mosque. But quite frankly, the> competing morality - and ascendant one, in the sense of the existing power> equation - is equally objectionable to me. I still have an old edition of> the Book of Common Prayer where deliverance from "the perfidious Jew and> infidel Turk" is penitently requested.> > Secondly, it is almost certain that a criterion such as "Infringement of> Rights" would relegate minority rights to an 'also-ran' position, especially> with regard to representation of these persons in ICANN councils.> > I will end by repeating a mantra that should be familiar to those who know> me. Any man that cannot decide for himself what to read, who to associate> with and most importantly, what to think, is a slave. Since I am the ONLY> qualified person to determine what I may think, read and associate, I am> unalterably opposed to any notion that a tribunal can determine what is> moral for me.> > When the time comes, I shall vote "NAY" and against this process, as> defined.> > Carlton> > > > > Carlton A. Samuels> UWI ALS/LACRALO Secretariat> > Email: carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm> Mobile: (876) 383-3964> Office: (876) 927-2148> > > > > > _______________________________________________> LAC-Discuss mailing list> LAC-Discuss at atlarge-lists.icann.org> http://atlarge-lists.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/lac-discuss_atlarge-lists.icann.org> > Homepage for the region: http://www.lacralo.org> > Posting guidelines to ensure machine translations of emails sent to the list are more accurate: http://www.funredes.org/mistica/english/emec/method_emec/presentation.html#anexo1