[LAC-Discuss] FW: [governance] IG and its linkage to technology

Carlton A Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Mon Apr 16 09:27:43 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Karl Auerbach [mailto:karl at cavebear.com]
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2007 8:00 PM
To: Bertrand de La Chapelle
Cc: governance at lists.cpsr.org; Norbert Bollow; siug-discuss at siug.ch
Subject: [governance] IG and its linkage to technology

Bertrand de La Chapelle wrote:

> Hence, Internet governance not only goes beyond technical matters but
> may even have implications in the future beyond the Internet itself to
> other global issues. But this would get us in the debate on the notion
> of stakeholder that I know Karl does not appreciate particularly :-) so
> let's keep it for another time.

It is likely that everyone here is hoping to build a better world.

However, we are just people.  We make mistakes.  We can not see the future.

The reason that I am arguing that internet governance limit itself to
matters
with a clear and strong tie to technology is that it lets us develop methods

and principles, and make our mistakes, in a context that is real but
constrained.

I stress the constraints - we *are* talking about matters that, if we go
beyond
the technical, step on the toes of national governments and often reach into

matters that are deeply emotional, subjective, and cultural.

And because technology is, in a sense, mechanical, when we try to do
something
wrong (like defining pi to be 3.0 or dictating that elephants fly) that the
mechanical aspects will give strong feedback indicating our errors.

It's not that I don't want to solve the world's problems.  It's just that
I'd
rather start small, making small, and correctable mistakes, rather than make

big mistakes that are hard to undo.  (Just look at how deeply entrenched the

ICANN mistakes have become.)

This is why I have suggested that discussions of internet governance pick a
fairly neutral, but certainly difficult topic, as a proof-of-concept.

My suggested topic is this: How can end-users (or their agents/local-ISPs)
obtain assurances (not guarantees) of end-to-end, cross-carrier service
quality
sufficient to support the user's application (such as VOIP).

That's not a trivial topic, it deals with issues of the balance of power
between users and providers, and between providers and providers.  It deals
with costs, it deals with routing and inter-provider peering, transit, and
exchanges, it deals with user-desired traffic preferences (and because it is

user-desired it tends to keep the topic out of the "net neutrality" debate.)

It's a topic that could make the difference between usable VOIP and unusable

VOIP, particularly for "southern" regions.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org