[LAC-Discuss] FW: [governance] Where are we going?

Carlton A Samuels carlton.samuels at uwimona.edu.jm
Wed Apr 4 10:52:44 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: Norbert Bollow [mailto:nb at bollow.ch]
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 4:12 AM
To: governance at lists.cpsr.org
Subject: Re: [governance] Where are we going?

Karl Auerbach <karl at cavebear.com> wrote:

> So what I'm asking here is this:  What kind of governance do we want for
> the internet?

Here's my take on this...

All governance mechanisms should be multistakeholder, transparent and
accountable with regard to following principles of due process.

The governance bodies should be required, in an enforcable way, to
work towards making the internet a realm where fundamental human
freedoms, such as freedom of speech and access to every kind of
informative or useful information goods, are increasingly available to
everyone, including all residents of developing countries and
including people with disabilities.

The governance bodies should however not be required to work towards
the above-mentioned goals in a narrow-minded, ideological way that
leaves no room for rejecting something like ".xxx" by means of
presenting an intellectually honest argument that accepting ".xxx"
would in effect be counter-productive with regard to the
above-mentioned fundamental objectives.

Greetings,
Norbert.

--