[LAC-Discuss] [LAC-ALAC] [ALAC-Internal] Fwd: Membership Database

At-Large Staff staff at alac.icann.org
Tue Jan 30 17:34:52 EST 2007

We could certainly go through the process you suggest, which is a more
traditional procurement decision-making process. In order to do this, we
would have to have the various solutions reviewed by the same group of
people, in the same way, after having drafted and agreed the needs analysis
- again with the same set of people involved in that.

We can of course do all this, but I doubt very much that it would take much
less than several months to do, based upon having gone through such a
process with an INGO in the past.

FYI, I have considerable familiarity with what MemberClicks is and can do,
and I can tell you that the icannalac.org functionality is nowhere near what
it is capable of. To develop the same functionality would cost many many
thousands of dollars - probably tens of thousands of dollars - and take a
considerable time to do it. I cannot see how that would be a justifiable way
to spend ICANN money when an off-the-shelf product can do the same thing for
US$100-ish a month.

We need something that does, at a minimum:

A database to hold the growing membership population.
The ability for new new applications to be stored directly in a database.
The ability for the state of applicants to be easily reported against.
Secured access to the data, on the basis of the individual the data records,
the ALS the individual is associated with, or, if they are an individual
member, a notation to that effect, and on the basis of the region.
Read-only access to the data by other members.

Memberclicks can do all of this, plus considerably more. Some regions will
use the extra features - the ability, for example, for dues paying members
to pay online and for the administrator of those users to see who is owing
money and for how long, for example - others will not. Some will use, for
example, the built-in voting system

Is it possible that a better solution exists? Yes it is. Considering that
the cost of the system is so low, is it worth looking for a 90-95% solution,
when a minimum of an 80% solution is available right now? In my judgment,
not really.

We are at a juncture where I have to either ask the ICANN web admin people
to build a small database to hold membership records, and allow new
applicants to fill in an online form to apply, etc - or we'll need to buy a
service like this one. I have lived through what happens when membership
systems are dealt with by spreadsheets, and word documents, and it is just a
really bad option which only gets worse over time, not better.

Finally, I have to ask: Did any of you who are volunteers get involved in
At-Large in order to be a part of procurement processes for membership
databases, or did you get involved in order to work on ICANN policy
development? What ICANN staff is meant to do is to help make your lives
easier administratively, so you can concentrate on policy, not purchasing
decisions for membership databases...