[Finance-sc] [Community-Finance] 2-year planning consultation

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 10:12:33 UTC 2018

Hi Xavier and colleagues,

Seasons greetings,

Having read the paper, i will summarise my feedback as follows:

1. In my humble opinion, we should Involve the Community as much as
possible when developing the Strategic Plan. The ICANN budget should be
tied as much as possible to the Strategic plan and should facilitate its
implementation. That way we don't need two years to plan for two years
since the two year planning cycle will cost a lot of money which would have
been used to achieve some goals in the Strategic Plan. Instead we could
look at how to involve the Community in Monitoring and Evaluation of the
Strategic and Operating Plan and implementation of the Budget.

2. Current Community engagement processes seem sufficient in my humble
opinion. Anything beyond this could result in analysis paralysis. How did
we arrive at the conclusion that the current processes are not sufficient
hence the proposal for a two year planning cycle? was a survey conducted?

Happy new year and a prosperous 2019. Looking forward to greater engagement.

Regards

On Sun, Dec 23, 2018 at 12:44 AM Xavier J. Calvez <xavier.calvez at icann.org>
wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> This is a short message to inform you of this new public comment
> consultation (see link below).
>
> I know there is a lot to public comment processes to review, from the
> 5-year Strategic Plan, to the Draft FY20 Operating Plan and Budget, and now
> this one! And that is just about planning…
>
> But this is a short 2-page document, to seek your thoughts on this
> question that came up over the past months: would it be helpful to have a
> 2-year planning process (“take 2 years to plan for 2 years”) so that we can
> engage more and better?
>
> If you are also commenting on the Draft FY20 Operating Plan and Budget,
> you may want to look at the 2-year planning consultation immediately after,
> as you will have fresh in mind a lot of useful thoughts on the process and
> the information produced.
>

> https://www.icann.org/public-comments/two-year-planning-2018-12-21-en
>

> Have a happy year-end holidays!
>

> Thank you.