[Finance-sc] Fast track vs. normal track requests

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Tue Mar 26 00:25:53 UTC 2013

Dear members of the Finance & Budget sub-committee,

a recent discussion with one of the RALO leaderships made it appear that
they were really rushed to go through their internal processes to
approve requests. Perhaps it was a lack of communication from members of
the FBSC to their region, perhaps it was just the fact that we had less
than one month to put together the budget requests.

As you'll note on the ICANN Finance WIKI, there are actually two deadlines:
https://community.icann.org/display/projfinadhocws/At+Large+-+FY14+Special+Budget+Request

      Deadlines:

  *

          Early vote/decision by April => submit by 3/22/2013

  *

          Vote/decision by June => submit by 4/29/2013

In order to save ourselves from needed to frantically work immediately
after the ICANN meeting in April, the request from RALOs to send their
requests was aligned with the fast track. This put pressure on them to
get their proposals done fast - but some might have forgotten about
requests which would not need a fast track.

As a result, I am asking you, members of the FBSC, whether we should
open a new round of RALO requests, if they wish to add any request that
would take place from November 2013 onwards -- hence using the "Normal
Track".

If this is the case, then Gisella has already prepared a placeholder for
a call on 22 April 2013 - and we *could* use this call to:
1. follow-up on any follow-up requests from Finance on our initial round
2. discuss the second round of requests

Any suggestions?

Kind regards,

Olivier