[Finance-sc] [ALAC] Fwd: Creating a New ICANN 5-Year Strategic Plan - Durban Monday 10:30 - 12:00 Hall 6

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.org
Sun Jul 7 14:46:57 UTC 2013

Hi Olivier,

It's not a purely matter of cynicism. If it was, you are right that we
should not bother.

But that is not the issue.

The issue is that we have repeatedly pointed out the massive public trust
problems in ICANN, and the substantial steps it needs to take in fixing
those problems. In response, it ignores our advice and instead invites us
to participate in something else completely -- something that ICANN has
used in the past as PR exercise that has not advanced our issues at all.

We ask for A. They say "no, but can you help with B". Our response should
be, "sure, but please address A first, without which B is pointless".
(Especially since we know from history that previous instances of B have
indeed been pointless, and a new coat of consultant-applied paint on the
next iteration will not make it better.)

Why must we salivate every time ICANN rings its Pavlovian bell? So long as
we do, so long as we are this easily distracted, our own critical issues
can (and continue to) be easily bypassed.