[EURO-Discuss] EURALO Hot Topics need updating

Collin Kurre collin at article19.org
Wed Dec 19 17:57:38 UTC 2018

Dear colleagues,

I'm quickly writing to let you know that I've just made a few suggested
edits to the Hot Topics doc on the subject of human rights. As neither
the CCWG-Acc Recommendations nor ICANN Org's Human Rights Impact
Assessment have come to fruition yet, I believe Human Rights should
remain on the list for the coming year.

Bylaws aside, the long-running debates around GDPR / Whois further
underscore the relevance of rights in the ICANN community. This post
<http://www.circleid.com/posts/20180719_icann_at_a_crossroads_gdpr_and_human_rights/>,
written by a European ICANNer, presents an interesting explanation of
this intersection. Concerns about privacy, freedom of expression, access
to information, and other human rights also persist in ongoing PDPs
other than the EPDP
<https://icannhumanrights.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/ICANN-PDPs-and-Human-Rights-CCWP-HR-Sept-2018.pdf>.

Thoughts or responses to these comments welcomed either on-list or in
the doc.

Happy holidays,

Collin Kurre
ARTICLE 19