[EURO-Discuss] EURALO - RIPE MoU Signing Ceremony

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Nov 2 15:00:24 UTC 2017

Dear EURALO members,

Wednesday 1st November 2017 was a historical day as EURALO signed a
cooperation agreement (MoU) with Réseaux IP Européens (RIPE), the
Regional Internet Registry that serves our region.
This will allow for more cooperation between the RIPE community
focussing on allocation of IP addresses, and the region's At-Large
Community. At this stage we are opening the door to making European
users more aware of the work that RIPE does, whilst opening a channel
for end user feedback to RIPE.

Please be so kind to find the final text of the MoU attached, noting
that this is the text that received no objection from anyone in EURALO.

I am therefore delighted to announce the news of this milestone. I hope
that it will enable multiple, constructive synergies between our
communities and organisations. EURALO and RIPE have been very successful
in collaborating indirectly as founder partners of EuroDIG, the European
Dialogue on Internet Governance, At this stage, I would need to thank
many people, including At-Large Staff, and you, dear colleagues, for
being constructive in bringing this milestone forward.

In my short speech yesterday, I thanked the people and At-Large
Structures that were physically present at the 29 March 2007 signing of
the EURALO MoU with ICANN. That was the very beginning of our region's
coordination.

But one person in particular deserves our strongest appreciation and
thanks, and that's Wolf Ludwig. He held EURALO together for so many
years. He did all of the groundwork, with colleagues in the region, to
make sure EURALO was a Founding Partner of EuroDIG, in effect, the
European IGF. He constantly made EURALO significant on so many levels,
both inside ICANN and in outside Internet Governance circles. Wolf is a
key architect of this organisation.
On a personal note Wolf is also one of my mentors at ICANN. When I
initially got involved at ICANN, Wolf suggested that I'd be EURALO's
IPv6 "expert" - and that step was the first step into all of the
different positions that I held in this organisation and his welcoming
attitude allowed me to have all the wonderful experiences that I have
lived so far in this amazing organisation.

Thus I wanted, with your permission, to suggest dedicating the signing
of the EURALO-RIPE MoU to Wolf. He could unfortunately not join us in
person in Abu Dhabi due to health reasons, but he sure was in all of our
minds when the MoU was signed.

Thank you,

Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond
EURALO Chair