[EURO-Discuss] VOTE ANNOUNCEMENT: EURALO Vote: RALO Statement on the At-Large Review Draft Report

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Sun Mar 26 23:46:23 UTC 2017

Hello all,

just to confirm - this vote is about the responses to the At-Large
Review ITEMS report, as drafted by the RALOs and ALSes.
It is available for download directly on: https://go.icann.org/2o5KZxY

Summarising the responses (very briefly):
- the Review contains parts of analysis that are flawed
- the RALO-ALS structure might appear to create layers and barriers but
actually promotes the contribution of members when run correctly
- local ALSes provide language support for policies
- 3 out of 5 RALOs already provide for individual users to get involved
directly and the remaining 2 are working on mechanisms for individual
user engagement
- participation in working groups is possible for any member, whether
through an ALS or directly
- we therefore do not believe that the Empowered Membership Model as it
is currently designed would be of benefit to the Community - especially
since it would mean such a disruption to At-Large
- we also do not support the use of the Nominating Committee to select a
pool of candidates and a random selection for Seat 15 as it completely
takes away your ability to choose a candidate for the ICANN Board.
- we agree with some of the other recommendations are they would really
help improve the effectiveness of our community's work

We need quorum on this vote and the vote is therefore open for 7 days in
length, to give you an opportunity to read through the responses and
provide your support. Please do take some time to read through the
to the text. It might not be perfect, but it reflects the views of a lot
of people, including many people from EURALO. And I was particularly
pleased to see that the vat majority of contributions were very
positive, with a genuine interest in improving things where improvement
is needed.

Kindest regards,

Olivier