[EURO-Discuss] EURALO GA hot topics

Mühlberg, Annette annette.muehlberg at verdi.de
Wed Mar 15 10:16:07 UTC 2017

Dear all,
unfortunately we did not have the time at the end of our assembly to discuss the topics at stake. In preparation of our meeting I asked my ALS and other end users what they would like to know.

Here are their questions:

·         Security/ Danger from outside:

o   Could ICANN´s infrastructure be manipulated – technically and organisationally? Who could do so? What are the technical and organisational mechanisms to make sure, this is never ever going to happen?

·         Danger from inside:

o   Why do people not have to worry about their domain being taken off for political or other reasons? What are the technical and organisational mechanisms to make sure, this is never ever going to happen?

·         Does the Internet of (hackable) Things create new security challenges to ICANN-infrastructures and services?

·         How do we finally get privacy by default integrated in the ICANN procedures/infrastructures?

·         Why is Facebook and Google strongly involved in ICANN? What is their interest?

·         What is the future of ICANN if the rising of the number of domain names is not of great interest anymore?

·         Even if it is not the task of ICANN, but people tend to want to make money: What could be new business models e.g. big data analysis, that some folks could be interested in?

·         What does public interest mean in the realm of ICANN?

Best
Annette
***
Annette Mühlberg
ver.di Bundesverwaltung, Ressort 1
Politik und Planung
Digitale Arbeit, Netzpolitik, E-Government
Leiterin der ver.di-Projektgruppe "Digitalisierung"

Telefon:
+49 30 6956-1034

Postanschrift:
Annette Mühlberg, R 1