[EURO-Discuss] EURALO-RIPE MoU Draft - please comment

Bastiaan Goslings bastiaan.goslings at ams-ix.net
Mon Aug 14 13:26:16 UTC 2017

Thanks, Olivier

I like the draft version of the MoU.

While I sympathise with Jean-Jacques’ last remark, I first of all think it is outside of EURALO’s scope to ‘identify Internet developments which have, or are likely to have an impact on the global Internet user’ (etc). As the Articles of Association say, ‘The purpose of the Association is to consider and provide advice on the activities of ICANN’. And even that is limited (‘insofar as’).

https://community.icann.org/display/EURALO/Articles+of+Association

More importantly I doubt whether the RIPE NCC would sign up for this item, first in a list of ‘ways’ that ‘Both Parties agree to collaborate in’.

The draft MoU clearly states what the two organisations stand for, and it emphasises ‘benefits of mutual collaboration’, and twice 'areas and activities of mutual interest’.

(IMO we cannot ask the RIPE NCC to commit to the interests of end-users in this MoU, it’s not part of their objective. That’s why the MoU says ‘Respect for each party’s independence is recognised’)

regards
Bastiaan