[EURO-Discuss] Improving participation on EURALO monthly calls

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Wed Aug 3 18:47:34 UTC 2016

Hello everyone,

the Doodle for the next EURALO call showed that having a call on the 4th
Tuesday in August was more popular than having it at our regular 3rd
Tuesday.

Now that we have decided on the date of our next call, we also have to
follow-up on improving the participation of At-Large Structure
representatives and members in a call.

This has several facets:

A. Best time for a conference call.

At present the monthly call takes place on the 3rd Tuesday of the month,
at 18:00 UTC. Is the day suitable? Is the time suitable? Should we
rotate the time? Gisella will send a number of Doodles for this.

B. Agenda of a call.

At present, the standing items are:
1. Roll Call -- this is needed for all of our calls and doesn't take time.

2. Review of Action Items -- this is needed to track the action items of
our last call/meeting

3. Review of current Public Consultations -- the ALAC has a mandate to
engage in ICANN policy and respond to Public Consultations. I realise
that some say that the 20 minutes that we usually spend on this, is too
long. But this is the only opportunity to explain the complex policy
matters at ICANN and hopefully generate a debate in the RALO led by ALS
representatives who have an interest in the topic. At present this is
really lacking! How do we resolve this problem?

4. Updates on Task Forces -- at present we have two task forces, one on
the Bylaws Review and one on At-Large Structure Engagement. Should we
restrict our Task Forces to two Task Forces at a time, or should we have
more?

5. ...and onwards, ad-hoc agenda items -- at present we spend some time
in a mix of policy and organisational matters.

General Questions:
- What should we do to improve the call?
- Should we make the monthly call 90 minutes instead of 60 minutes?
- Should we provide 10-15 minutes for an At-Large Structure to present
its own work and how it relates to At-Large?
- Should we use 20-30 minutes of the call to invite an expert to speak
about a specific topic and how it affects end users?
- Do you have any other suggestion to make the call more interesting?

Let's please get the ball rolling now and start the discussion.

Kindest regards,

Olivier