[EURO-Discuss] EURALO BOARD selection

Roberto Gaetano roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 18 00:12:31 UTC 2015

Good evening.

Point 4 of the agenda for tomorrow's call is:

EURALO Board, discussion of document "Draft selection and performance
criteria for EURALO Board members 2015, EURALO relevant rules, and Board
election

Looking at the referenced document
<https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/56145358/Performance-crite
ria_Board_Secretariat.docx?version=1&modificationDate=1446572650000&api=v2>
Selection and performance criteria for EURALO Board members 2015, I welcome
the approval and the enforcement of these criteria.

In relation to the Board selection, I note also the comment in the text
"Only few Board members have fulfilled such criteria so far". That was
exactly my impression, and the reason for me to raise an issue in Dublin.

I note also that the Board has not met very often, and has not done very
much (this being an understatement).

It should therefore not be a big problem to survive without a Board until
the matter is settled.

My personal opinion, and recommendation, is that:

.         We stick to 5 members, and we do not open the Board to basically
whoever wants to jump in, as done in the past

.         We apply preference to geographical distribution - i.e. that we
appoint a second member from one country only if there are no other
qualified candidates from a not represented country

.         We stick to the performance criteria, meaning that we do not
appoint people who have not fulfilled the criteria in the past year (or
other chosen reference period)

.         We recall members who, once on the Board, cease to fulfill the
criteria

On top of that, it would be good that the Chair assigns tasks and
responsibilities to the Board member - I have heard somebody proposing this
in Dublin, and I like the idea very much.

Cheers,

Roberto