[EURO-Discuss] Read how we wrapped up last year with our activities in the EMEA

EMEA Communications luna.madi at icann.org
Fri Jan 30 15:36:51 UTC 2015

Click here (http://us3.campaign-archive1.com/?u=818d573897ed5ea25ee71ebc1&id=4e9e3ed715&e=9c542cf19d) to view this email in your browser

Jump To: Event Highlights (#highlights) | Activities (#contentactivities) | Community Highlights (#community) | Spotlight (#spotlight) | Upcoming Events (#upcoming) | Get Involved (#involved)

** Happy 2015!

If last year was a busy year, then this year is definitely going to be busier for ICANN globally and of course in the EMEA region. 2015 is an important year for ICANN, with the NTIA stewardship transition of the IANA functions and ICANN accountability; so we’re hitting the ground running from the beginning!

This edition covers the last quarter of 2014 of EMEA activities, highlights upcoming key events for us in the region as well put in the spotlight some of our community members’ highlights.

Happy reading,
EMEA Team

** Event Highlights Q4 2014

It’s been a busy last two months for the EMEA region, with a few milestones and firsts. Below are some highlights and spotlights:

Registry Roadshow Workshop – Europe & ME [19-21 November]

"Really like the team competition - made it fun to learn. Best ICANN event I've attended" – Participant feedback

The Registry Roadshow Workshop for Europe and Middle East Region took place on 19-21 November in Istanbul, Turkey where we had more than 50 participants. The in-depth, interactive and hands-on three-day workshop covered a wide range of timely topics. The participants learned about Registry Onboarding, Registry Ongoing Responsibilities, Universal Acceptance, Name Collision, Right Protection Mechanism for SLD block list, Contractual Compliance Process, Security Stability and Resiliency as well as how best to work with the Registry Services team and ICANN GDD staff. The event was designed to include group activities and team competition which got the participants to be on their feet working with each other to find answers and solutions. The team make-up was altered each day to allow maximum networking opportunity for everyone. Feedback from participants was overwhelmingly positive on both the format and content. In this Roadshow, the MVP Award Panel chose to award the Most
Valuable Participant award to everyone in attendance, who promised to share the trophy by handing it to one another at each ICANN meeting. The first hand-off will occur at ICANN 52 Singapore during the Roadshow Reunion.

Thank you to all who made this Roadshow a great success. A special thanks goes out to the entire Istanbul Hub team who took on the event as a gracious and generous host.

** EMEA Activities at a Glance

We have been busy the past couple of months, with our teams engaging heavily in their respective regions:

In Europe

Jean-Jacques gives a broad look at what we’ve been doing in Europe, from panels to workshops, specifically with increased efforts to inform and generate input on the transition of the stewardship of the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (‭IANA‬) functions.‬‬‬‬‬‬‬
https://www.icann.org/news/blog/icann51-and-after-tis-the-season-for-ntia-transition

Key events of the last quarter in 2014:
* Warsaw Workshop – https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2-2014-10-23-en
* gTLD Panel – Internetdagarna Sweden - 24-25 November, 2015 - Jean-Jacques Sahel’s panel: “Internet governance – who will shape the future of the Internet?” - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPDIAGylmT0&list=PLtDs7N_g_eiY87wxlBFzwl_FeQKEmPjIi#t=15

** New gTLD Stories Panel

This year, the event featured a track dedicated to New gTLDs, including overviews by ICANN’s Krista Papac and a panel of new gTLD registry operators moderated by yours truly and organized by ICANN. The panelists, from .global, .club and two Chinese IDN TLDs, got questions like “What’s your business idea?”, “What would be success – or failure – and on what horizon?”, “Do you use backend registries?”, “How do you market?” to which they gave enlightening and often similar answers. Eventually the audience chimed in with “What admin difficulties have you experienced?” followed by an exchange regarding the name collision issue. This was a very successful panel and we look forward to organizing similar ones this year!

Olof Nordling

* Brussels - 4th EU Hackathon on e-democracy at European Parliament
* Vint Cerf listening to EC VP Andrus @Ansip_EU @icann cosponsored EU hackathon on e-democracy in Brussels @h4p2014
* Key milestone in Europe, the EU Council on Telecommunication (TTE) issued positive Conclusions on Internet Governance adopted on 27 November 2014. https://www.icann.org/resources/press-material/release-2014-12-02-en

In the Middle East

Key events of the last quarter in 2014:
* DNS Entrepreneurship Centre Workshop –Africa/ Middle East – Cairo
* Turkey DNS Forum - https://www.icann.org/news/blog/a-successful-first-edition-of-turkey-s-domain-name-system-forum
* Arab IGF – Beirut, Lebanon – https://www.icann.org/news/blog/arab-internet-governance-forum-gaining-more-ground
* IRAN Outreach Visit November 15-18, 2014
Our first visit to Iran, where we held successful informative bilateral meetings with government officials, business leaders, and technical community members on ICANN and how to get involved in the process. ICANN also took part in the RIPE NCC regional meeting that was organized in Tehran around the same time.
* SdNOG, and Sudan IGF PM- December 6-7- 2014
ICANN was part of the inaugural Sudan Network Operators Group (sdNOG), a 2-day event that attracted around 100 attendees; mostly the technical community and some university students. ICANN gave a presentation on Internet Governance, and another on DNSSEC. On December 8, ICANN was part of the Sudan IGF Preparatory Meeting providing the necessary expert knowledge on how to move forward.
* ITU Telecom World 2014 - Doha, Qatar - 7-11 December
ICANN was invited to speak on a panel entitled "The Next Big Internet Step: Moving to IPv6 to Enable Everything on the Internet”. Speakers shared experiences in promoting IPv6 and educating their communities on deploying the technology. http://telecomworld.itu.int/

In Africa

Looking back on our activities in Africa during 2014, taking stock of our Africa Engagement Strategy, is a blog penned by Pierre Dandjinou https://www.icann.org/news/blog/taking-stock-of-our-africa-strategy

Key events:
* Afrinic 21 - https://www.icann.org/news/blog/eventful-icann-participation-during-afrinic21
* AFRICA TELECOM People 2014 - Cote d’Ivoire – 18-19 December, 2014
ICANN attended the 10th edition of AFRICA Telecom People in December, presenting on IPv6 during one of the workshops.

** Community Highlights

Interview: Prospective Cyrillic Generation Panel - An interview with Yuriy Kargapolov

On 14 October 2014, the Cyrillic community met at ICANN 51 in Los Angeles to organize a Generation Panel to work on Cyrillic Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) for the top level. We connected with Yuriy Kargapolov, prospective Chair of the Panel, to get a better understanding of their work.

Q: What motivated you to get involved?