[EURO-Discuss] Fwd: Swedish ISP deletes all retained customer data in wake of EU court ruling | PCWorld

Nigel Hickson nigel.hickson at icann.org
Fri Apr 11 07:02:54 UTC 2014

Colleagues

Good morning; while not dismissing the significance of this decision by
the ECJ and the potential consequences (I have an interest as was on the
UK team that negotiated adoption of this after the Madrid train bombings)
we should also note that the scope is limited to providers of "electronic
communication services" (see Article 1 of attached directive).

I am no lawyer but understand the in general the implementation of this
directive by Member States is confined to such as ISPs and mobile
operators; thus limiting affect in relation to ICANN and RAA.

Best

Nigel

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2006:105:0054:00
63:EN:PDF