[EURO-Discuss] Studienkreis

William Drake william.drake at uzh.ch
Wed Sep 25 11:01:27 UTC 2013

Hi Roberto

One small point:

On Sep 25, 2013, at 11:44 AM, Roberto Gaetano <roberto_gaetano at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Then a session on Internet Governance was planned. However, due to the wide
> impact that the Snowden case had on all participants, the discussion has
> focused almost only on privacy vs. security issues. My personal impression
> is that the vast majority of the participants were critical about the
> principle of limiting the privacy and controlling the data exchanged on the
> Internet even if this could address security issues like, for instance,
> detecting potentially illegal activities. But, as I said, this is just my
> personal opinion having listened to the contributions.
>
> One key point of the discussion has been the role of the different
> stakeholders in shaping the legislation and keeping a tight control to
> ensure that rights are preserved. Fadi commented that this is another
> example of the need for a multi-stakeholder model.

Maybe it's because I was moderating, but I feel like I was in a different session.  The one I was in spent two and half hours debating the impact of the surveillance revelations on the politics of global Internet governance, including on ICANN.  I don't actually recall much discussion about the precise privacy/security balance people desired etc.  But this is just a quibble…Thanks for the nice recap.

What's interesting is that as far as I can know nobody has blogged tweeted etc. about the little bombshells Fadi dropped concerning his desire to internationalize the AoC, revise root management viz. ccTLDs, etc.  But maybe I'm just not looking hard enough…

Cheers

Bill