[EURO-Discuss] Inputs and proposals for the Lisbon GA agenda

Jordi Iparraguirre ipa at josoc.cat
Wed Mar 20 09:31:00 UTC 2013

Dear Wolf,

thanks for the compilation.
Regarding the questions, here some input for the sake of giving away
ideas and facilitate discussion.

- How to improve member participation at EURALO and its regular activities?

- How to better represent the voice and interests of European users in
At-Large and ICANN?"

what about a short survey so ALSs can gather data amongst their members
and citizens so then, set priorities ?
Writing a survey with also open questions to be sure to capture
bottom-up feedback, not just top-down closed proposals.

No idea on your areas, but here the trend seems to be privacy, open
data, net neutrality and too strong copyright laws. Items more related
to DNS could be:

- how is that, having millions of domains under their management,
certain gTLDs have been allowed to raise prices and they are doing so
year after year ?  How does this benefit users?

- Whois debate and right to privacy. EU data privacy laws conflict with
ICANN's regarding whois. A model similar to the one being used by .fr or
.cat (who needs to know has full access to whois data) might make sense.

 > - How can we better link the levels of At-Large and ALAC?

Not too sure about it, but just to start the conversation: May be
getting more people involved and teaming up where experienced ALAC
members team up and coach certain ALSs ?

 > - How can ALS activities be linked to ICANN discussions and the other
way round?

ICANN easily sets the agenda at every move (RAA, new gTLDs, PDP, ...).
ALS should be able also to put some other issues on the table and get
them discussed. May be getting more people on board leading more issues
might help, but at the same time it is not easy for small ALS to devote
too many resources (people) to these debates. To ease learning curve,
perhaps having teams of 2 or 3 people leading an issue, where one is
experienced and the rest just new or less experienced may help to get
more people engaged, so more available to lead ALS proposed issues.

my 2 cents
cheers
jordi

Al 20/03/13 01:05, En/na Wolf Ludwig ha escrit:

Jordi Iparraguirre
http://twitter.ipa.cat
http://linkedin.ipa.cat