[EURO-Discuss] PROBLEM: VOTE CREDENTIALS: EURALO Secretariat

Dick Kalkman d.h.kalkman at isoc.nl
Fri Jun 28 00:09:06 UTC 2013

Dear All,

Before I tried to vote for the EURALO Secretariat I made some observations.

>From my background I always review and test voting systems. Reviewing
and testing the voting system I now have to suspect a problem with the
voting procedures and/or system. To explain the problem the following:

The (concept) minutes of the last GA regarding the voting for the
secretariat contains:

Secret votes: 27 votes in total, proxies included, one missing due to
delayed arrival at the meeting.
Ms. Yuliya Morenets: 8 votes
Ms. Oksana Prykhodko: 11 votes
None of the above: 8 votes

So voting was possible for Yuliya, Oksana or None.

However the Bigpuls voting system said:

Please select one of the two candidates below, listed in alphabetical
order, for the position of EURALO Secretariat for the term of from the
EURALO GA 2013 to the EURALO GA 2015:
* Yuliya Morenets
* Oksana Prykhodko

Select one checkbox

Yuliya Morenets
Oksana Prykhodko

So voting is possible for Yuliya, Oksana but NOT for None.

This leads to the conclusion that this election process is inconsistent
with the last week election at the GA.

To be sure that this option is really really missing (some voting
systems are no so well documented) I did a test. I didn't select any
checkbook and hit "Submit vote". And indeed, the system responded:

Error: check your submission
EURALO Secretariat
You must select at least one choice in this poll.

My first impression is that one voting option ("none") is missing. At
least this is confusing and leads to the question why is this
implemented this way?

Best Regards,

Dick Kalkman

On 27-6-2013 5:00, At-Large Staff wrote:
> Dear Dick,
>
> Please note that the poll for the position of EURALO Secretariat has now
> opened.
>
> *****
> Question: Please select one of the two candidates below, listed in
> alphabetical order, for the position of EURALO Secretariat for the term
> of from the EURALO GA 2013 to the EURALO GA 2015:
>
>   * Yuliya Morenets
>   * Oksana Prykhodko
>
> *****
>
> Please note that the poll will be open from *_24_**-**June**-2013 23:59
> UTC* to *_28_**-June-2013 **_23:59_** UTC*.

<DELETED PART>

> Important Security Warning: Do not forward this email because it
> contains an auto-signin link.

<DELETED PART>