[EURO-Discuss] EURALO - ALAC demarche to ICANN

Manuel Schneider manuel.schneider at wikimedia.ch
Fri Dec 7 07:01:44 UTC 2012

Hi,

I'd like to note that Wikimedia has quite some experience in this regard
as we have a conference - Wikimania - which is hosted annually by a
different group in a different country. We know the problem of Visa very
well, having had Wikimania in Europe, US, Israel, Taiwan. I'd like to
note that we have people eg. from Iran who made it successfully to both
Israel and US - because of cautious in-advance planning. It's not that
these people show up on surprise and that we wouldn't imagine that there
could be problems with Visas for them.

When selecting the Wikimania host country we also evaluate the Visa
situation. When making a decision like US, EU or Israel we know that we
will have problems and start dealing with them a year ahead (host
countries are being selected ~ 1.5 years in advance).
I am sure that ICANN - with its professional staff - can do this even
better than the volunteers of Wikimedia do.

Another note:
FIFA is able to press hosting countries to give their representatives
free Visas. I am sure that the ICANN can at least try the same, having
political influence through its shareholders amd offering a prestigeous
event for the hosting country.

Regards,

Manuel
Lausanne, +41 (21) 34066-22 - www.wikimedia.ch