[EURO-Discuss] Fwd: [ALAC-Announce] ALAC Statement on Revisions to Conflicts of Interest Policy and Bylaws to Allow Board to Consider Compensation for Director Services

Christopher Wilkinson cw at christopherwilkinson.eu
Wed Sep 28 13:35:58 UTC 2011

Dear Olivier:

Allow me to forward to you, and to EURALO, a few preliminary comments
on the draft ALAC statement. When I have had time to review all the
references, including ATRT and Boston,
I may post an appropriate comment to the formal ALAC List:
Naturally, the broad intention of the proposed ALAC comments is
positive and should be supported. However:

1.	The text addresses the question of Board remuneration. It does not
address the Conflict of Interest issues.

2.	I am not comfortable with the text to the effect that:	<<   ... the
Chair being compensated at some multiple of the standard Directors'
amount.>>.

	The primary objective should be that all Directors may be full-time
and must be independent of their past or present employers, or
constituency. To that effect, the level of Director compensation
should be quite significant.

	Then, if the Chair is to be compensated by "some multiple", that
might give rise to excessive amounts, unless it is made clear that the
"multiple" may be a fraction (e.g. x 1.75).
	The election of the Chair of the Board will be delicate enough,
without adding the incentive of disproportionate financial gain.

3.	As matter of drafting, the two paragraphs that begin "Compensation
of directors ... " are identical, and do not reflect that the second
version has been "slightly reworded."

I hope that this is helpful.

Regards to you all

Christopher.