[EURO-Discuss] Urgent Call for comment ASAP on ICANN Strategic Plan

Christopher Wilkinson cw at christopherwilkinson.eu
Fri Jan 7 16:29:59 UTC 2011

Dear Olivier:

Further to your request for input on the ICANN Strategic Plan, you may
wish to take into consideration the following points:

1.	The ICANN Strategic Plan, 2011-2014 (three or four years) is rather
succinct (about 8 pages) in view of the timescale and the
comprehensive scope of the document.

The ICANN document naturally contains a good deal of stable material,
to the point that it is not easy to decipher what is new or what has
been changed.

2.	This ICANN strategy document has been effectively overtaken by the
the recently published ATRT report. Irrespective of conflicting time-
lines, the ICANN Strategy should at least now respond to the ATRT
document, including the Berkmann analysis and case studies.

3.	Regarding accountability and  transparency, including public
participation, the proposed strategy does not respond to the
comprehensive critique in the ATRT Report.
	This question is alluded to under the "Internet Eco-System", but is
not addressed thoroughly.

The eventual role of At Large in public participation and
accountability is not mentioned. (Neither in the ICANN Strategy nor in
the ATRT Report).

4.	DNS stability and security: ALAC might refer to the Berkmann case
study on DNS-CERT. (Annexe to the ATRT report). There is already an
allusion in the draft ALAC Comments.

5.	Consumer Choice, competition ... :  Does this section of the ICANN
strategy represent a change of policy? Implementing the DAG is not
mentioned. Are all new TLDs are linked to IDNs?
	Does the reference to "regional participation" include or exclude the
outstanding cultural/geographic/city based TLD proposals?

I trust that this may be helpful,

Regards,

CW