[EURO-Discuss] Background for tonight's Euralo call

Cheryl Langdon-Orr langdonorr at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 13:55:38 CDT 2009

Hi Bill, I'd like you, EURALO and the ALAC to be very aware of a single
point of concern to me in the Blog reply /thread you made in the link
provided below... specifically the following...  PLease note that Robyn as
Chair of NCUC wrote to me in email appointing you as the NCUC liaison (i.e.
advising me of you offer) I replied to her message with copy to staff, copy
to ExCom list (PUBLIC)  within minutes of the receipt of this advice and
announced at the following ExCom and then full ALAC Meeting(s) that a
Liaison from NCUC was most welcome and that you in my opinion with your
involvement with EURALO a perfect fit for the Job, and expected in fact that
you would be well aware of this reply as well as would have attended (if
available) or reviewed our meetings since then (you are already on the
relevant lists get notices links to agenda's etc.,) where the ALAC has
discussed that we will need to appoint a Liaison to the NCSG (with the
existing NCUC being a constituent part of that under the current model were
working with) or review later complaints to us from both our previous NCUC
Liaisons did not motivate us to appoint a replacement to Beau for a month or
so before this change would need to occur any way in our view...  Also  the
ALAC discussed that as we will attend the User House meeting and (with the
exception of the single purpose IRT issue  and our Joint Response / work
activity that enveloped our time (and was conducted in the scheduled meeting
time for NCUC and ALAC in Sydney)  meetings since Mexico  ( well Cairo
actually) have been a duplication of effort and topic and that as we had a
very full set of demands in our Seoul agenda, and as ALAC and RALO leaders
had complained about the workload and requested more time to address policy
development matters;  unless Robyn proposed a topic that required a specific
F2F between the NCUC as a GNSO constituency and our AC then we would only
schedule the User House meeting and use the time for other priority
meetings...  In my reply to Robyn et.al and welcoming you as an NCUC Liaison
to the ALAC I also covered off (in shorter form) all of that as well... Why
you have not been made aware of all this immediate and welcoming response to
your offer from the ALAC however I can not say.
"For my part, I offered almost a month ago to serve as a liaison but never
got a reply from ALAC, and am now told that they've decided they don't need
to liaise with NCUC. And to my knowledge there's no NCUC-ALAC meeting
planned for Seoul. Hard to see how this is going to go anywhere but downhill
from here, but whatever, I guess. "

CLO

2009/9/23 William Drake <william.drake at graduateinstitute.ch>

> Hello,
>
> I see on the agenda item 3, "ALAC response to recent activities of the
> NCUC."
>
> Given the general lack of NCUC-ALAC dialogue and information sharing, I'm
> guessing that not everybody will be equally aware of the background.  To
> that end, the following links might be worth perusing prior to the
> discussion.
>
> http://blog.internetgovernance.org/blog/_archives/2009/9/22/4329523.html
>
> http://www.icann.org/correspondence/ncuc-to-beckstrom-18aug09-en.pdf
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill
>
> PS: I will probably have to leave the call after an hour

> William J. Drake
> Senior Associate
> Centre for International Governance
> Graduate Institute of International and