[EURO-Discuss] Access as a basic right

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Fri Oct 16 06:59:13 CDT 2009

Hi again,

would like to share some more comments on the issue
with you (see below)...

Best,
Wolf

____
Patrik Fältström wrote 16/10/2009 13:30:
What is decided is on a public private partnership where there is a
model for co-financing the internet access with 1/3 from each of the
involved parties. So in reality it is a subsidy scheme. That said,
press is talking about it as a "right", and of course journalists are
already calling ISP friends in Finland asking what they will do with
the 512kbps product that now will be "illegal". Which of course is not
the case at all.

Sigh...

Sometimes it is not good to play the whisper game. Or, it is played
too much.

_____
Wolf Ludwig answered:
Thanks for your important comments on this! I perhaps was a bit
"over-impressed" by this announcement when Le Monde wrote:
"(...) qu'à partir de juillet l'accès au haut débit serait garanti par la
loi pour les cinq millions d'habitants du pays. Seuls deux mille foyers,
situés dans les régions les plus désertes, sont exclus de ce plan, qui
prévoit de porter le débit minimal à 100 mégaoctets d'ici à la fin 2015."

Whether "1Mo/s access becomes a 'fundamental right' or whether this
definition sort of updates the more classical "universal service" approach
where in principle everyone should be entitled to such an access (though
less clearly opposable)," as you said, to me it sounds like an important
step into the right direction - compared to the state of art in other
European countries - regarding "L'amendement 138 au "paquet Télécom",
qui fait de l'accès à Internet un "droit fondamental" au titre de la liberté
d'expression", and I wish other countries will follow the Finish example/
best practise with the same speed and tenacity soon.

_____