[EURO-Discuss] Some preparation for the next EURALO teleconference

Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond ocl at gih.com
Thu Jul 30 02:49:39 CDT 2009

Hi Adam:

> I would also like to know if any ALS have been active in IDN issues,
> perhaps ISOC Bulgaria or KEPKA, or if other members have an interest in
> IDNs.  AP-RALO is concerned about ICANN's current proposals, particularly
> regarding variants (see
> <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20090720_icann_tld_policy_imposes_constraint_internationalized_domains/>
> for a paper that explains some of the issues from a
> Chinese/Japanese/Korean script perspective)

I'm not an ALS and I don't represent one either, (in fact what am I doing
here, but that's another chapter :-) ) but I take an interest in IDNs as
well. WRT CJK scripts, the article relates some surprising news since the
matter had been extensively discussed in Sydney. Edmon Chung is leading the
charge on this and is diong a great job.
Btw, IETF's IDNAbis work is nearing completion - confirmed by a letter to
the group from Vint Cerf - so we're not that far away from a technical base
to run IDNs on. A lot of work took place to look at exceptions, so most
answers to ICANN's questions will be in the IETF documents. (yes, there's
many of them)
So back to the CJK scripts: could it be an unfortunate oversight not to have
addressed this in the latest version of the guidebook?

Kind regards,

Olivier

--
Olivier MJ Crépin-Leblond, PhD