[EURO-Discuss] Comment on Stakeholder Charters by Cheryl Langdon-Orr ALAC Chair 2007-2009

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Jul 24 13:32:52 CDT 2009

At 7:50 PM +0200 7/24/09, Nick Ashton-Hart wrote:
>Dear Bill:
>
>You will find all statements of the ALAC on this
>subject (as well as all other matters where
>statements have been made) on
>http://www.atlarge.icann.org under
>correspondence.

Nick, thanks.

I notice ALAC's most recent consensus statement
on the topic is not in the correspondence list,
please see
<http://forum.icann.org/lists/sg-petitions-charters/msg00020.html>

I am concerned that the staff recommendation for
the new NCSG charter is very similar to that
proposed by Cheryl Preston and explicitly
rejected by ALAC this 16 April 2009 contribution.

And note the ALAC statement of 14 August 2008, says, among other things:

" We also may differ from some of the current
constituencies on how the GNSO should evolve
after the new structure is implemented. As noted
in the BGC report, the process for forming new
constituencies has been in the By-Laws as long as
the GNSO has existed. But it has never happened,
presumably due to the (real or perceived) heavy
burden of ³self-forming² and then ongoing
management. Within the new structure, it may be
even more difficult, due to a potential for the
existing constituencies to believe that they can
represent all viewpoints, thus eliminating the
need for new constituencies." And goes on to make
comments about how constituencies can be created
without the barriers we've seen in the past.
However, the staff recommendation for the new
NCSG charter seems to provide more hurdles, not
less.  The top down model didn't work, ALAC
statement of a year ago recognizes this and seems
to reject it.  The NCUC proposal is of course
much more user-friendly, allows for the easy
creation of constituencies that have equal rights
in policy development.

So answering Bill's question, there has been no
discussion of the NCSG charter since our agreed
statement of 16 April this year.  Speaking for
myself, I do not support the top-down NCSG
charter proposal as presented by staff.  Am very
concerned it will exclude individuals, forming
new constituencies will be difficult, and is
obviously an unfair burden on non-commercial
users compared to the charter proposed for the
commercial users house: these double standards
are very worrying.

Sorry for the quick note. Late here, and I've
been travelling and currently enjoying a nice
dose of jet lag!

Best,

Adam