[EURO-Discuss] [ALAC] Draft IRT Report

Patrick Vande Walle patrick at vande-walle.eu
Mon Apr 27 03:42:36 EDT 2009

Agree with you Carlton. There are some additional issues:

One is the privacy issue, as mentioned in Michele Neylon's posting on
CircleID:
http://www.circleid.com/posts/20090426_icann_irt_report_comment_short_timeframe/

Another one I see is that the report insists that there should be no
"unnecessary or undue costs, either to trademark owners or to legitimate
users and consumers". Nothing comes for free, so who is going to bear the
cost ? The IRT seems to think the registries should bear the cost of
protecting someone else's IP rights.

However, if the registries' operating costs are increasing due to the long
and painful IP rights checking and possible liability, they will be passed
on to all registrants in the end via an increase of the unit price for
domain names, whether or not those registrants have IP rights to defend or
not. Higher prices for domain names means less attractiveness and sales.
For the community-based TLDs, with a limited market, it may not look like a
viable path to set up such an expensive machinery. In effect, the IRT
recommendations might kill all TLDs that do not focus on large volumes.

Patrick

http://www.icann.org/en/topics/new-gtlds/irt-draft-report-trademark-protection-24apr09-en.pdf

--
Blog: http://patrick.vande-walle.eu