[EURO-Discuss] action items from last call and ALAC performance indicators

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Tue Apr 21 10:58:42 EDT 2009

Hi,

Looking through the action items from last month's call I see I have
two
<https://st.icann.org/euralo/index.cgi?action_items_17_march_2009>.

"New gTLD Draft Applicant Guidebook, Version 2 (V2)
A Peake will rework a draft statement based on that information on
behalf of Euralo and submit it to the discussion list 30 April is the
deadline for the Euralo comments, and then the statement will be sent
to the Icann board."

Did I say I'd do this?  I've not been following the Applicant
Guidebook closely so I'm surprised I volunteered to anything on this.

Note, the ALAC has just voted to support a statement on the guidebook
developed from the Summit WG statement
<https://st.icann.org/working-groups/index.cgi?at_large_gtld_working_group_statement_on_applicant_guidebook_v2>
All voted in favor.

ALAC also recently made a statement on the GNSO non-commercial
stakeholder group
<http://forum.icann.org/lists/sg-petitions-charters/msg00020.html> EU
RALO may wish to consider.

Second action item:

"ALAC Review WG Draft Final Report
A Peake will draft a statement on behalf of Euralo and poste it on
the Euralo discussion- list."

I have a note of this one but thought I said I would try to make time
to summarize any changes from the earlier reports we'd discussed,
highlight issues I thought we should take note of for possible
comment. I am pretty certain I didn't say I would draft a statement.
Anyway, my apologies, I haven't done whatever it was.  Started, and
got distracted by work, life and other things.

Perhaps ironic given the two incomplete actions by my name... I have
volunteered to join a working group to draft a set of performance
indicators for ALAC members and liaisons. See email below.

I'd like to know what RALO members think about ways to judge ALAC
members' performance.

Stepping back a bit, I think we need to begin with a job description,
an agreed set of tasks and goals to judge performance against.  At
the moment performance is judged on participation
<http://www.atlarge.icann.org/alac/performance.htm> using 3 measures:
ALAC conference calls, ICANN conferences and ALS accreditation votes.
Liaisons are also asked to submit liaison reports which are recorded.

Current indicators are quantitative - they tell you if person turns
up, they don't give any indication of any work done (I could have a
100% record of attending meetings, calls and votes, but never comment
on a list, sleep during the calls except for when I need to wake to
vote, etc.)

How can we introduce more qualitative measures, while remembering
ALAC members and liaisons are volunteers?

Speck to you soon.

Thanks,

Adam