[EURO-Discuss] alac review

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Tue Jun 24 12:39:36 EDT 2008

Kleinwächter ha scritto:
> Vittorio
>
> More precisely, Westlake has been instructed to review the
> effectiveness of the current structure in reaching the purpose of the
> ALAC as described in the ICANN Bylaws: "to consider and provide
> advice on the activities of ICANN, insofar as they relate to the
> interests of individual Internet users".
>
> Wolfgang: This is correct but it makes no or only little sense to
> review a mechanism which has started its work just 12 months ago

Which is why they are recommending minor changes for now, and further
possible changes in the next review cycle.

> This was a different understanding and this continuos that there are
> two controversial posiions. But again I am surprised to hear such
> argumetns from you, Vittorio, who very often agve the impression that
> you have  another position(and earned trust for this frm the
> community). In WGIG yo havr argued in a different way.  Do you really
> believe you can seperate social and political  processes in different
> boxes and say this is IGF, this is ICANN and this is OECD?

No, I think that you are misunderstanding me. I am not saying that ICANN
is technical so there is no need for the public, at all. I am just
saying that the ALAC Review is a specific assessment of the functioning
of a particular mechanism, while the balance between industry and users,
the accountability to the general public etc. are absolutely
fundamental, but need to be considered inside a broader discussion that
examines the entire institutional architecture of ICANN.

To be honest, sometimes I think that this "box by box" review mechanism
is (purposedly or not) by design preventing that broader discussion from
happening. Of all current processes, however, the one of the PSC on the
post-JPA arrangements seems to me the best place where to have that
discussion, as long as it can be made more open and transparent (and
again, ALAC has a representative in that committee, can the community
make better use of it and raise this issue?).

> Probably there is a wide misunderstanding, misinformation and
> misinterpreation around an old question which is now presented as a
> reinvented (and misconfigured) wheel. Because there is such a high
> level of confusion I propose to have a special workshop in the next
> ICANN meeting in ALAC about "The Role of At Large and individual
> Internert Users in the Post-JPA-ICANN". I am volunteering to
> co-organize such a workshop.

I support this wholeheartedly, it seems exactly the kind of discussion
we need to have, at least if we can involve all parts of the community
in it.

Ciao,
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------