[EURO-Discuss] alac review

Annette Muehlberg Annette.Muehlberg at web.de
Mon Jun 23 09:07:39 EDT 2008

All,

Regarding the ALAC review, we are working in Paris on a draft for a statement from EURALO which we will post on the list. Meanwhile I want to let you know that theNARALO has already been working on such a statement. This is its latest draft.
Best greetings

Annette
***
NARALO, by consensus agreement, urges ALAC to take every measure
possible to encourage rejection of the report of the 2008 ALAC review
by the ICANN board and other members of the ICANN community.

We believe that the ALAC Review process has been flawed from the very
start of its process, and has produced recommendations which serve
neither the multi-stakeholder goals of ICANN nor the needs of its
at-large community. While the report indicates we were heard, we were
clearly not listened to.

The logic behind the recommendation to deny At-Large voting membership
on the ICANN Board is puzzling; even in its best possible interpretation
the rationale emphasizes rigidity over good and responsible governance.

Not only do the ALAC review recommendations fail to progress the needs
of ICANN's At-Large community, they take a significant step backwards by
requesting that an even larger proportion of ALAC than currently exists
be composed of unaccountable, non-representative appointees of the
Nominating Committee. The result is a real and visible reduction of the
voice of the community for whom ALAC is supposed to speak, opposing the
recommendations of the Nominating Committee's own review.

In rejecting the consultants' report, ALAC must offer creative and
viable alternative recommendations which would increase accountability.
while enhancing the bi-directional communications required between ICANN
and its global grassroots communuty.

What is at issue is not only what the community must offer to ICANN, but
also what ICANN _owes_ to the community of Internet users who have
neither financial nor academic interest in Internet operation.

For these reasons, we call upon ALAC and other members of the ICANN
community to challenge the recommendations of the current ALAC review,
as well as the very frames of reference upon which they were
constructed. We believe that such actions are required for the
betterment of ICANN's public constituency.