[EURO-Discuss] Eurodig?

Wolf Ludwig wolf.ludwig at comunica-ch.net
Thu Jul 24 13:22:43 EDT 2008

Dear all,

first of all my apologises for not responding earlier due to urgent professional obligations.

Regarding the questions raised on the EuroDIG issue by Vittorio, Patrick, Nick, Wolfgang and Jefsey I would like to explain about the context:

I think we all agree that EURALO’s first Board meeting and GA in June in Paris was as important as encouraging for our RALO and we all agreed and promised to start with more dynamic and commitment into our second year. In Paris we discussed and approved the basics of a EURALO working programme 08-09 and part of this discussion were options of regional outreach. In this context we already noted the next “ICANN-Studienkreis meeting” organised for the 3rd time already by Wolfgang – what is due to happen this time in September 08 in Helsinki offering excellent opportunities for EURALO’s outreach in parts of Europe where we are not present or represented by ALSes yet.
This option was also considered in our working budget for the coming year BTW.

In several, perhaps more “informal” discussions among Board members we discussed other outreach opportunities like the one proposed by Rudi and Frans to use the coming anniversary of ISOC Belgium in October for a EURALO side event and outreach activity – what will be further verified and confirmed by Rudi and Frans. Besides this, Annette, Wolfgang and I participated in informal discussions on the idea having a regional/European IGF organised in autumn, possibly before the next official IGF in December 08 in Hyderabad/India – what could be just another good opportunity for a EURALO outreach.

As we are all aware, unfortunately we do not have any budget means at our disposal so far (except the good intentions stated in our working programme and budget ;-) to organise special and outreach-related events ourselves – what I would highly appreciate (!). Therefore the easiest or pragmatic way to do outreach is using opportunities and fora organised by or in collaboration with other Internet and subject related organisations. The idea of EuroDIG we (the three members mentioned above and others) discussed in Paris advanced over the last four weeks thanks to the dynamic of some members of the working group (like Wolfgang and others). The date and the location (Strasbourg) are fixed but the programme, supporters and participants is still work in progress.

As the draft programme comprises issues like openess, security and privacy etc., I think, these are relevant or even obvious concerns among Internet users and is therefore part of our mandate. By taking part with Annette and Wolfgang in the preparatory group I didn’t want to create any established facts – if that impression occurs, I want to apologize. But I am still in favour of using the few opportunities and foras we may get for EURALO’s outreach, enlargement of contacts and networking.

I hope that Board members may agree with the given considerations and I appreciate any further comments.

Best regards,
Wolf

 JFC Morfin wrote Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:27:
>At 15:57 21/07/2008, Kleinwächter, Wolfgang wrote:
>>This is an open invitation. U guess EURALO would miss a chance not
>>to use this as an opportunity for outreach. Amd it is very close to
>>EURALOS core business at least the third session on the second day.
>
>This is a obviously in the Internet @large core of interest, if may
>be not in the sub-GNSO restricted ALAC area. For the International
>Network lead-users @larges are : Security, Privacy, Openess and
>Critical Internet Resources are subjects of key interest. Another
>important issue, which will obviously be underlaying is the
>Post-JPA/IIC issue.
>jfc
>
>>wolfgang

comunica-ch