[EURO-Discuss] Comments/Questions on Summary of EURALO Board Meeting in Geneva

Veronica Cretu VeronicaC at diplomacy.edu
Thu Feb 28 16:21:21 EST 2008

Dear Board members, especially those who made it for Geneva meeting this
week, greetings!

Thank you, Wolf, for the summary of the meeting, which is highly
appreciated, especially due to my absence from the meeting!

Below are some questions/concerns/comments I have after reading the Summary
report per concrete issues that have been discussed during the meeting:

1.  “There are suggestions to reduce the size of the EURALO board to five
members to make it more operational and effective” – What are the main
reasons behind changing the current number of EURALO Board members? (there
is no enough information from the meeting summary on this).

2. I see that there were discussions about organizing certain events BUT
“As we cannot count on ICANN funding for such a side event / Users Summit
PrepCom in Paris” there are ideas about „prepare and submit a project
proposal for the board to be submitted to different European organizations
for sponsoring”. In this context, I have the following
comments/observations:

If EURALO is an ICANN related/created structure – than it should be able
to function on support from ICANN. In case certain proposals are submitted
to ICANN for funding, they SHOULD NOT BE refused/rejected, but on the
contrary, improved and developed and finally implemented.

Otherwise, if we start looking for funding from other organizations, we are
NOT an ICANN structure any longer. Requesting funding from other donors,
EUROPEAN ones, does not mean only using money for certain purposes, but
adjusting our projects/activities/mission/scope, etc. to the priorities of
the grant giver.

And here:
EURALO should clarify its working relationship with ICANN;
If EURALO starts thinking about applying for sponsorship from other
organizations, then, it should re-think/review its organizational structure,
mission, etc. – that are not in line with ICANN bylaws, rules, procedures
any longer.

Also, in regards to EURALO will submit a new budget proposal for the Fiscal
Year 2008-09 to ALAC that will include several activities, and my
questions/comments are:
- Usually any budget is made based on a Action Plan/s for a certain period
of time. Where can EURALO’s Action Plan for 2008-2009 be accessed? To what
extent ALSs are involved in identification of certain activities of this
Action Plan?

3. ICANN Internet users declaration and the preparation process of this
Declaration: Preparing a Declaration of this kind on behalf of ICANN
Internet Users raises several questions vs. concerns:
 The extent/degree to which ICANN Internet users are aware/informed about
the current problems and challenges in the field?
What ARE the current challenges, main problems in the field?
What are the solutions or/and alternative decisions that are proposed OR
should be taken?
What are the PROs and CONs of each solution?
Other.
In order to find answers to the above questions, one needs both human and
financial recourses. An ideal output would be a research report which would
be disseminated among ICANN Internet users community and vis-à-vis which
ICANN Internet Users community would take a certain attitude. This attitude
is actually something that is reflected in a Declaration, and by this
Declaration ICANN Internet Users would seek concrete changes/attitude from
ICANN side.

Is this what is meant? Is this the process that is being discussed by
EURALO? I would appreciate concrete details about it, in order to be able to
come with certain proposal/solutions for how that can be implemented, etc.

Thank you all very much for your time and for making the Board F2F meeting
become a reality for at least some members of the Board:)!

Have a nice weekend ahead,
Veronica