[EURO-Discuss] [Fwd: Re: [ALAC-Internal] Proposed ALAC-statement regarding JPA]

JFCM jefsey at jefsey.com
Thu Feb 14 08:44:23 EST 2008

At 14:08 14/02/2008, Jacqueline A.Morris wrote:
>Dear All,
>Please see the draft below of a proposed At Large statement on the JPA.
>Time is short - the deadline is tomorrow, but as much participation as
>possible is the At Large way, so please do what you can re comments.
>Jacqueline

This proposition seems to be good. However, I think we miss a summary
framework of every the real accountability relations between ICANN
and the US government, Verisign, the RIRs and the IETF, the
implications for the Enhanced Cooperation, and the relations with the
IGF participants. The more ICANN removes itself from the USG umbrella
the more alternative solutions may emerge. I feel the Internet
technology and the ICANN are still unprepared to such a situation. If
they become independent providers,  no more a de facto national
agency/exclusive SSDO, there will be competition.

IMHO the proper interface to deal with such a competition or/and its
projects is the atlarges because the competitive projects will start
from them first (open sources, alternative architectures to IETF, IDN
resolution, national communities) and because ICANN in fact compete
with them. As long as ICANN has not accepted it and acted accordingly
I do not think it is mature enough to walk alone. ICANN is also tied
with the IETF, I think this should also be reviewed. At the Dehli
ICANN/IDNC meeting Thomas Narten (IETF liaison to BoD) and Chris
Disspain agreed that in terms of IDNs the technical documentation
should mostly come from ICANN, and they detailed why. ICANN is
calling on external consulting power, but the IDNA case shows it has
not acquired yet the competence to stand by its own and to proprely
decide of the operational values of the IETF inputs. The "Fast Track"
would be a first case where ICANN would lead an ICP-3-like test
(however it does not respect the ICANN/ICP-3 constraints).

I feel the NTIA wants to judge by its own theoric criteria, not by
the real life criteria we learned during the last 9 years.
jfc