[EURO-Discuss] Fw: [ALAC-Internal] WebWatch statement on the JointProjectAgreement

Roberto Gaetano roberto at icann.org
Thu Feb 14 08:43:05 EST 2008

I would be sincerely worried if I thought that the situation as is now is
similar to 2 years ago, modulo a couple of minor changes.
In the meantime, all RALOs have been formed and ALAC is operational. Just as
an example, the paragraph below makes assertions that are no longer true:
In its role as the voice of the individual Internet users, ALAC firmly
believes that the current multi-stakeholder framework at ICANN should be
further strengthened to allow more proactive involvement of end-users. The
process to full participation of individual users through the ALAC/RALO
(Regional At-Large Organization) mechanism is being undertaken at this
moment. There is, however, a lack of incentives for the participants,
especially a lack of direct involvement at the decision-making levels of
ICANN. Therefore, we think that ICANN should find ways to implement adequate
representation of individual users at the decision-making levels of ICANN so
that a real multi-stakeholder framework is achieved.
I think that there is a limit to which a statement to NTIA can be driven by
ideology versus an evaluation of the facts.
Anyway, I acknowledge that the priority is to send the statement and it is
not the time to ask hard questions, but I am sure that once the Board reads
the statement of ALAC claiming that ICANN is not ready for the termination
of the JPA, it will demand a shopping list of what still needs to be done.

Cheers,
Roberto

  _____