[EURO-Discuss] [EURO-ALS] At-Large EURALO 2007 Election Results

Roberto Gaetano roberto at icann.org
Tue May 22 08:29:54 EDT 2007

I would also like to start with the congratulations to the elected.

Starting with te ALAC representatives, I particularly welcome Veronica, who
is relatively new to the ICANN process.
Veronica, I am sure that you will catch up, maybe with the help of your
colleagues in the Committee, and prove that my concerns were wrong.

Just before the opening of the vote, I claimed I could make a bet on the
result. Unfortunately, I did not bet money, because below is my forecast,
that I sent to Nick, who can confirm, was correct:
================
My pick on the most likely result:
- Veronica - 31 to 33 - 2 years
- Sebastien - 32 to 36 - 1 year
- Patrick - 35 to 38 - 0 years
================
I don't know how far away I was on the score, but the ranking is indeed the
one that came as a result.

To the new ALAC members, just one advice, from past experience. We have been
caught off base already a couple of times by the Ombudsman, we have again
ALS applications that were not voted because of the high number of
abstensions and the non-participation to vote. I would consider having a
strong set of rules, and compliance to them, a priority.

Congratulations also to the Board members. Also in this case, I am sure that
my concern in having a too large Board will be answered by strong
participation and effectiveness in the management of EURALO. According to
the Bylaws, presence of 2/3 of the Board members is necessary to take
decisions: with a board of 9, that means at least 6 people on every call.

Wolfgang is right in stating that the first priority is to establish a work
plan. Besides the two ICANN meetings in Europe in the years to come, there
is already an important date to mark on the calendar: the Studienkreis in
Warsaw in October. Wolfgang has repeatedly asked for an EURALO meeting in
combination with that appointment, receiving no answer so far. Now that we
have a management team in place, it will be time to answer positively, and
start finalizing the venue.

Cheers,
Roberto