[EURO-Discuss] Vote for EURALO board size

Roberto Gaetano roberto at icann.org
Fri May 18 17:25:21 EDT 2007

Interesting approach. I personally like it (but I am not a voting member).

I assume that we are all aware of the fact that in this case the option that
has the relative majority might not be the winner.
For instance, having 17 votes, we might have:

5 - 3 votes
7 - 3 votes
9 - 3 votes
all - 8 votes

and the winner will be 9 (not all).
Similarly, if we have:

5 - 8 votes
7 - 3 votes
9 - 3 votes
all - 3 votes

the winner will be 7 (not 5).
This has the advantage of favouring the central area of the spectrum,
minimizing the global unhappiness instead of maximizing the local happiness.

It is worthed noting that if you start from the other end, i.e. from 5, and
go up, stopping when you have the majority of the valid votes, you will end
at the same point (if my maths are correct).

Cheers,
Roberto

  _____