[EURO-Discuss] Keep the documentation

Nick Ashton-Hart nick.ashton-hart at icann.org
Mon May 14 03:13:35 EDT 2007

With respect to the staff point:

FYI, my view of the staff role is that we are agnostic with respect to
policy. With respect to process, we have an obligation to ensure that
processes are protected, and where developed by the community, ensure
equal access, transparenc, and respect for a rules-based framework for
interaction in which every stakeholder is on an equal footing with
every other.

To that end, you have and will see periodic interventions about
process and procedure, and sometimes suggestion of a new process or
procedure in order to provide further avenues for the community to
engage on issues or to solve a problem which the current process seems
inadequate to facilitate.

As to what policy to debate, and what to say, on this I have no views
- not only as staff, but generally personally as well, though my
personal views are effectively nil as it is my job to help you put
yours forward, not to have any of my own put forward.

On 13/05/07, Thomas Roessler <roessler at does-not-exist.org> wrote:
> On 2007-05-11 08:12:29 -0700, Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>
> > From the attitude point of view, what is appalling, looking from
> > the outside, is how a couple of people have inherited the Jeff
> > William syndrome,
>
> *snip*
>
> If there's anything that this discussion shows, then it's a total
> lack of willingness to build a compromise solution in the face of
> differences of opinion, and some worrying lack of neutrality on the
> staff side.
>
> The fact that you have nothing better to do than pull the Jeff
> Williams card speaks more (and quite disappointingly so!) to your
> ability to be objective, show leadership, and respect different
> opinions, than it speaks to the RALO's functioning overall.
>
> (Though I'll admit that one conclusion that one might draw from this
> entire debacle is that the RALO structure as such is neither
> functional, nor robust.  One of the underlying reasons for the
> hesitation to sign the MoU on FITUG's behalf is that I was
> struggling whether I should recommend returning the ALS
> accreditation right away.)
>
> Regards,
> --
> Thomas Roessler   <roessler at does-not-exist.org>