[EURO-Discuss] [EURO-ALS] Voting Porcedure

Nick Ashton-Hart nick.ashton-hart at icann.org
Fri May 11 14:56:10 EDT 2007

See below

On 11/05/07, W.Hülsmann (DVD e.V.) <huelsmann at datenschutzverein.de> wrote:
> Hello Nick,
>
> Nick Ashton-Hart schrieb:
> > Verner:
> >
> Don't you have an "W" on your PC? :-)

Apologies; naughty to misspell people's names :(

> > There are two problems with this:
> >
> > 1) The process of how to vote was agreed in Lisbon,
> I understood you, that this agreement was made for the election of the
> EURALA Board and not for the ALAC seats

The agreement covered the entire election process.

> > 2) Nothing would prevent you from noting preferences for only one, or
> > two, out of the three, and not setting a second or a third preference.
> > So, the effect you might achieve would be the same.
> Sorry, but in the WIKI you have written: "The ballot will work as
> follows: 1. Each voter will rank, in order of preference, ALL the ALAC
> candidates."

That was my emphasis more than anything. Werner, if you have a burning
desire to vote for less than the two representatives that the region
needs to actually select, and only want to vote for one and let the
others choose the second one without your vote, I'm happy to configure
the voting system to allow people to not select from the entire field.

> And the word "ALL" is in Capital Letters. Also would be a vote not legal
> if there is only one ore two preferences!

Look, you cannot have it both ways. You cannot say "I want to vote for
only one or two" and then say "If I do what I want, the vote will be
illegal".

Is this a productive discussion, to go around in circles? I can't say
that I see the value in it.

> Kind Regards,
>
> Werner

> Vorratsdatenspeicherung? Nein Danke!  -  Noch ist es
> nicht zu spät: http://www.vorratsdatenspeicherung.de
>
> --
>
> Dipl. Inform. Werner Hülsmann
> Vorstandsmitglied der Deutschen Vereinigung für Datenschutz (DVD) e.V. Obere Laube 48 - D-78462 Konstanz
> Tel.: 07531 / 365905-6 Mobil: 0179 / 46 86 484
> E-Mail: huelsmann at datenschutzverein.dehttp://www.datenschutzverein.de

Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart
PO Box 32160