[EURO-Discuss] [EURO-ALS] No voting on board seats

Nick Ashton-Hart nick.ashton-hart at icann.org
Fri May 11 10:19:02 EDT 2007

See below...

On 11/05/07, Stefan Hügel <sh at fiff.de> wrote:
> Dear colleagues,
>
> again, why exclude individuals who are willing to do the work which has to
> be done?
>
> The easiest way to get to a consensual descision would be following the
> proposal below.
> To avoid an even number of seats, why not reserve a spare seat for future
> ALSes (e.g. from
> the northern region, which is not represented yet).

This is not correct Stefan. The position adopted in Lisbon was the
consensus position of a large proportion of the ALS community. That's
reality. What you are proposing is to reconsider a consensus position,
not to form one.

> At least, we have the objections to 7 seats. But we should go for the best
> solution and not
> stick to artificial formalities which do not get us on.

What we are talking about here are not artificial formalities. We are
talking about very basic and fundamental respect for the consensus
positions adopted by your colleagues, which you wish to revisit. You
are welcome to propose reconsideration of a previous decision.

> So I also propose to assign - in this period - all candidates to the board.

To repeat: Again: If you wish to propose reconsideration of a
consensus position adopted by your colleagues, then you need to do
that.

As I have previously said, in any standard evaluation of how to
reconsider a decision, the standard is to have 2/3 of the voting
members agree to reconsider a decision - THEN you actually decide on
the question - again.

This is not artificial, Stefan, this is basic best practices in
standard international decision-making.

Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart
PO Box 32160