[EURO-Discuss] Voting procedure for ALAC seats

Nick Ashton-Hart nick.ashton-hart at icann.org
Fri May 11 08:31:52 EDT 2007

Christophe:

Whilst I appreciate the spirit of compromise behind this proposal, may
I remind everyone that this would be changing the decision reached in
Lisbon on how to proceed - and at the last minute before the vote
called for as agreed at that meeting.

Again, this proposal would be a reconsideration of the decision of
Lisbon. I would suggest, like on another proposal earlier to
reconsider Lisbon outcomes, that the community should only entertain
reconsidering something if there is the obvious support for doing so.
That would, if we use the international standard for reconsideration
of decisions, mean that two-thirds of the ALSes would have to agree to
reconsider.

If we continue down the path we are on, may I stress that you are
simply deferring any discussion on real policy far into the future,
you are endangering the ability of the ALAC members you (eventually)
choose being able to attend and represent you in Lisbon, etc. I cannot
imagine that any of you really wish to spend months more discussing
procedure, having just spent years doing so?

May I also further point out that holding a vote on the candidates is
clearly the most democratically-recognised method of choosing your
representatives. Let the voters decide!

On 11/05/07, Dr. Christoph Bruch <bruch at humanistische-union.de> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> we are about to take decisions which will have a strong influence not only
> on the way internet user from Europe are represented within ALAC but also in
> what atmosphere we will continue our cooperation.
>
> I got the impression we are dealing with a constituency more or less split
> in half on whom to elect for the 2 ALAC seats: one group favouring
> Patrick/Sebastian the other group favouring Veronica
>
> Therefore I suggest that we agree on sending Veronica and either Patrick or
> Sebastian.
>
> That would leave us with two decisions:
> - Patrick or Sebastian
> - Who Veronica or Patrick/Sebastian should get the 2-year term.
>
> If we can reach the agreement and decide the two remaining questions, we
> would either skip the vote or vote in a way to reach the desired result.
>
> This way the rules would not be bent.
>
> Maybe Patrick and Sebastian could negotiate amongst themselves who would
> withdraw his candidacy if we reach the agreement described above.
>
> Christoph

Regards,

Nick Ashton-Hart
PO Box 32160