[EURO-Discuss] ALAC

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Thu May 10 11:00:07 EDT 2007

Adam,
see below.

At 22:44 5/10/2007  +0900, you wrote:

>So my question was, given the obligation chapters seem to have to
>follow ISOC policy (described here
><http://www.isoc.org/isoc/chapters/policy/> point 5), would the
>representative of an ALS/ISOC Chapter, irrespective of ISOC policy on
>an issue or ISOC's interests in an issue, be able at all times to
>follow the wishes of the EU RALO and ALAC.

Actually, these are obligations for establishing new chapters.
The existing chapters have several options:

 >>5. Public Positions and Statements
 >>Specific officials of Chapters, acting on behalf of their
 >>Chapter, may make public statements and establish
 >>public positions as long as they meet the following requirements.

Patrick can be a specific official of his chapter, but he may not be
acting on behalf of his chapter. Therefore, he can make statements
even if they do not meet the following requirements.
Patrick, on the other hand, may make a statement, even if they don't
meet the following requirements, because the chapter is an
independent entity, which may also express positions, which are in
the interest of the users in Luxembourg, which do not necessarily
have to be the positions of the users in the USA.

In other words - the requirements are there, but there's no
"punishment" for not following them.

Veni