[EURO-Discuss] Legal situation with respect to ALAC candidatures

Roberto Gaetano roberto at icann.org
Wed May 9 03:33:54 EDT 2007

Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

> having been on ICANN'n nomcom twice, I can confirm that
> several board members didn't meet the requirements you find
> necessary for an ALAC seat. The nomcom has appointed people
> who were plain and simple newbies.
>   From what I know, nobody has ever complained about this fact.
> Now I wonder if the selection criteria for ALAC should be
> more rigorous than for the board and if so  why?

I have already posted on this subject, but will repeat it.
There are in ICANN two channels to get to "leadership positions", one is via
NomCom, the other one via the internal structure. By design, these channels
address two separate needs: for the organization to have a continuous intake
of new people, who are qualified but do not belong to the internal structure
(and therefore that may or may ot be experienced) and to have representative
of the different constituencies, who are therefore necessarily familiar with
the issues, in particular the ones debated within their constituencies.

For the Board, this means that some members are appointed by NomCom, and are
generally coming from outside the Supporting Organizations, and those may or
may not be familiar with ICANN. On the other hand, some members are
appointed by the Supporting Organizations, like GNSO, ASO and ccNSO, and
those are definitively familiar with the issues, actually they are elected
exactly for this reason. A quick check on the present and past SO-elected
Board Directors will easily prove that.

Similarly, for ALAC, NomCom selects 5 members, who may or may not be
familiar with the issues, while the RALOs elect the other 10 among their
ranks, and their role is exactly to bring the knowledge of the internal life
and issues of the RALOs.

Obviously, for all other bodies who have "leadership positions", like GNSO
Council, ASO Council, ccNSO Council, it works exactly in the same way.

I think it would be a good thing if we did not have to rediscuss the basic
principles every time we hit a situation in which they do not work for our
convenience.

Cheers,
Roberto