[EURO-Discuss] transparency on changes of rules

Roberto Gaetano roberto at icann.org
Tue May 8 07:05:50 EDT 2007

I don't know what was the past correspondence, and I assume that this is a
question that ultimately will end, for a change :<(, with the lawyers, but
my understanding since the beginning was that the relationship between ICANN
and EURALO, including the modus operandi of EURALO within ALAC, was going to
be governed by the MoU.

As a matter of fact, re-reading the documents (AoA & MoU) I see that the
election of EURALO representatives is covered in articles 1.2.5 and 5.4.1 of
the MoU. I wonder how the MoU could extend legally to organizations like
ALSes that do not sign the MoU. Of course, in the beginning we all thought
of an MoU signed by EURALO with ICANN, and implicitely adopted by each ALS
by joining the EURALO, but since we went the road of individual signatures
for the MoU, by the same toke we must assume that the MoU takes force only
for the ALSes who have signed it, not for the others. Who, if they do not
want to sign, will remain unaffected by MoU obligations, but also unaffected
by MoU advantages.

Where does this not make sense?

Cheers,
Roberto